About the charity:
We are a charity that has been helping sick, injured, abandoned and unwanted pets since 1986. We have helped over 25,000 animals, provided veterinary care and found them new homes.
Our vision is to give animals a chance of a good life and never put a healthy animal to sleep. At the Cat and Rabbit Rescue Centre we take in cats, rabbits and guinea pigs, and give them a good quality life until it is possible to find a loving, permanent home. We want to help educate the public in responsible pet ownership and to eliminate irresponsible breeding by encouraging neutering of all pets. Lastly, we help and advice the public in humane control of feral cats.
This can be a hard but very rewarding role. You would be working both indoors and outdoors in all weathers cleaning and caring for our animals.
You will initially learn all aspects of animal care progressing to an Animal Care Officer level involving behavioural assessments, bonding and rehoming.
You will be able to work alone using your initiative as well as working as part of team. Have good communication skills.
Experience of domestic animal care working in the animal care/welfare industry is desireable, but not essential as full training will be given.
- To clean, disinfect and maintain to a high standard of cleanliness to the animal pens with a physical capability to carry this out in accordance with CRRC cleaning guidelines
- To ensure on-going assessment, in conjunction with other staff, of animals in respect of their health, welfare and general condition. To draw attention to an animal not considered to be fully healthy or considered to require veterinary attention
- To administer and record medication.
- To attend to the needs of individual animals, including feeding and grooming
- Ensure all animals are scanned to check for ownership
- Animal handling.
- To be fully aware, understand and comply with all CRRC rehoming, bonding policies and work ethics at all times and to remain aware of all changes to these when they occur as instructed by Management
- To assess characteristics and personality for rehoming purposes in conjunction with CRRC policies
- To be to able deal with the general public effectively and confidentially in rehoming animals in accordance with all CRRC policies
- To liaise with volunteers and handlers on all aspects of cleaning & handling
- To clean, disinfect and maintain to a high standard of cleanliness to ancillary areas in accordance with CRRC rota and cleaning guidelines
- Ensure rubbish and recycling is disposed of in the appropriate facility
- Rabbit areas to be kept tidy and paddocks regularly cleared of manure
- All communal areas to be swept and kept tidy
- Advise management of low level stock or maintenance requirement
- All movements of animals to be recorded on ASM
- Follow Transfer of Ownership and Adoption Policies ensuring all data is accurately recorded on ASM
- All relevant paperwork to be completed for all arrivals and collections of animals
- Ensure all paperwork is neat and tidy and handovers clear and precise
- When required answering calls and queries from the public
- You may be required to assist at one of our events away from the Centre
- To collect and return animals from our vets or the general public
- You will have experience within managing volunteers and fundraising.
- You will have a track record of event or projects you have planned and coordinated in the past.
- Preferred: experience with animal welfare.
Health & Safety:
- To be aware of all health and safety measures and fire prevention practices as laid down in the health and safety and fire manuals and policies and procedures and ensure that these are adhered to. Reporting any accidents or incidents in accordance with procedures and observe these in all aspects of your own work
- Ensure individual animal pens and buildings are secure, checking before work commences and when work finishes.
- Report any faulty equipment to Management.
To model a positive & professional attitude to work.
To undertake any other reasonable duties as may fall within the remit of the job as requested by Management.
Car Driver is essential for this post