About the charity:
We are a charity that has been helping sick, injured, abandoned and unwanted pets since 1986. We have helped over 25,000 animals, provided veterinary care and found them new homes.
Our vision is to give animals a chance of a good life and never put a healthy animal to sleep. At the Cat and Rabbit Rescue Centre we take in cats, rabbits and guinea pigs, and give them a good quality life until it is possible to find a loving, permanent home. We want to help educate the public in responsible pet ownership and to eliminate irresponsible breeding by encouraging neutering of all pets. Lastly, we help and advice the public in humane control of feral cats.
Already with experience in the management of people and retail operations you will lead by example and be ready to maximise the performance of our staff and volunteers. Articulate and approachable, you must be able to strike a rapport with customers, employees, volunteers and public alike, and maintain a positive outlook.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of running retail shops and managing staff and volunteers in the execution of all the required retail activities.
- The Shop Manager reports directly to the Shop & Retail Manager
Responsibilities – working with your Co-Manager
- Ensuring that the shop is appropriately staffed at all times (the shop will be open 6 days a week), organising the rotas for staff and volunteers.
- Handling staff matters for the Shop- including supervision, staff communications, staff meetings, holidays & absences, staffing rotas, volunteers, training, performance appraisals, complaints.
- Handling sales matters and the collection, sorting, pricing and rotation of donated goods for sale at the shop.
- Ensuring that there is sufficient stock and donations for sale in the shop.
- Liaising with the Retail manager for delivery, rotation and disposal of supplies for the shop.
- Proposing and implementing promotions and specials within the shop.
- Dressing the windows and displaying goods for sale in an attractive and safe manner.
- Making the shop an attractive, friendly and welcoming space for customers, volunteers and staff alike.
- Managing income and banking for the shop, reporting income to the Shop & Retail Manager & the finance department as instructed.
- Ensuring the shop complies with all relevant CRRC policies, relevant legal requirements, and health & safety provisions.
- Cultivating good relations with neighbours and other retail organisations locally.
- Ensuring that the shop is kept clean and in a safe state of repair.
Essential Skills & Experience:
- Minimum 2 years of retail experience
- A demonstrated leader, motivator and team player, comfortable in delegating to staff and volunteers as well as being hands-on as required to get the job done.
- Able to demonstrate experience of training staff and getting the best out of multi-skilledteams of staff and volunteers.
- A strong understanding of sales and customer service techniques with a proven track record of successful income generation from retail operations.
- A systematic approach to working and the ability to problem solve effectively in stressful circumstances.
- A working knowledge of current HR, Health and Safety and GDPR legislation, and practical experience of applying such legislation in the day to day management of staff and volunteers in retail operations.
- Proactive with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability and confidence to communicate effectively with people from all walks of life.
- Computer literate and familiar with the use of the usual technology deployed in retail operations- cash tills, card readers, safes, etc.
- Able to network and build up strong relationships for the benefit of CRRC.
- A clean driving licence with own transport.
- Management Experience
- Knowledge of the charity retail sector.
- A passion for animal welfare.
This role requires onsite working at CRRC’s charity shop in New Parade, Selsey, with possible visits to the centre in Sidlesham and may also be called upon to support our other retail sites within a 15 miles radius.
If invited for interview you will be offered the opportunity to look around the CRRC centre and shops.